Sunday, February 2, 2014

Diet and Excitotoxins

One of the first things they want you to do on the Yasko Protocol is to look at your diet.  Basically they want you to think about going Gluten-free and Casein (Dairy)-free for sure, and eliminate as many foods that can trigger excitotoxins. 

Now, I have been GF/CF as well as egg-free, soy-free, and limiting sugar for the past 7 years, so I was pretty pleased with myself that I didn't have to change my diet, as I'd already been following it!
The excitotoxin bit was something new, but as I went down the list of foods that create excitotoxins (mainly MSG and Aspartame), I realized that I wasn't eating many of those foods either because most of the ingredients were found in highly processed foods.  I have become such a stickler for reading labels on EVERYTHING and avoiding products that have ingredients I can't pronounce or anything with MSG or Aspartame or anything I have a sensitivity to.

Here's a link to a list of foods that are excitotoxins...there's a lot!  You can't totally avoid consuming excitotoxins, but you CAN actively try to eliminate as many sources as possible.  I now make most of my 'convenience' foods - cookies, breads, cakes, dressings, sauces, & gravies, from scratch because I don't trust what's in packaged foods.

If you're interested in learning more about excitotoxins check out this conference from Dr. Blaylock, MD who is a crusader in this area:  http://youtu.be/_nxLm2LAPQo. He wrote a book about it called, Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills.

No comments :

Post a Comment