Saturday, April 21, 2012

Horse Chestnut for CVI (Chronic Venous Insufficiency)

While I'm waiting for the results of my spinal MRI, I thought I would look into alternative ways to treat CVI.  I haven't been tested for CVI...I had a request sent in for a Duplex Ultrasound by my GP, last September, but have not heard a peep from the hospital.  My GP did warn me that they might refuse to do the ultrasound because I wasn't showing typical signs of CVI...but I covered that in a previous post, so I'm just leaving it at that.

I do believe I have circulatory issues in my lower legs.  Although I don't have varicose veins, I do have spider veins and a definite swelling of the lower extremities by the end of the day, accompanied by very tight legs with some edema around the ankles...more so on the right leg than the left.  NOTE:  I did not have issues with swelling of my legs until about 4 years ago.  Both my massage therapist AND my acupuncturist have commented on the 'sluggishness' of blood flow in my legs.  I still suffer from cold feet...when soaking my feet in very warm water my feet (toes especially) start out white, then turn greyish, than purplish, before turning a nice rosy pink...and then they feel like they are burning...probably because I actually have blood circulating down there for a while!

So what does Horse Chestnut have to do with all this?  Well, Horse Chestnut has been used in Europe for many years to treat circulatory problems, especially CVI.  Here are two sites with some good info on it:  Horse chestnut Tips and MedlinePlus

I'm going to take 300mg Horse chestnut Seed Extract twice a day and see if that makes any difference to my legs.  If I get even a bit of relief, it will be worth it...some improvement is better than none! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment