Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Physio Pre-Op Assessment

Yesterday, I met with my Physiotherapist, who actually specializes in neurological disorders, to get a pre-op assessment of my mobility and balance.  It was a very enjoyable hour long appointment, as she was quite aware of CCSVI... having actually heard Dr. Zamboni speak at the American Association of Neurologists convention in Toronto!!!! How cool is that?!?! Anyways, the good news is I scored quite high on the assessment test (which is called something like 'Berg')...Wouldn't you know it...I forgot to ask for a copy of the report.  Oh well, no worries...will be seeing her again near the end of August for Post-Op.  OK, so I scored high but if you just look at the number (which was like 49/56) it doesn't really give you a clear picture of where I am at, because, although I was able to perform the tests fairly well, I lacked "fluidity". This lack of 'fluidity' stems from a severely decreased sense of propioception - basically, my feet and legs are so numb that they don't really know where they are in relation to things around them (like the ground), so I take small mechanical steps to do things like: turning around, stepping onto a riser, and even putting my feet together.  Spasticity doesn't help either.  So she videotaped me doing these tests to give a more accurate representation of where I am at. 

I also talked with her about Cortical Remapping, which I discovered thanks to our intrepid blogger, Ginger!  I have been stimulating the bottoms of my feet and toes ( the end of a tweezer works great)  and trying for at least 4x/day...6x is better, but trying to fit them in is near impossible...unless people (in the mall, doctors office,etc.) are willing to see me take off my shoes and socks and start playing with my feet. LOL  I've been doing it for about a week and a half but haven't really noticed any changes...but maybe I NEED to do it 6x/day???  I guess I will just have to take tweezers with me wherever I go.  Luckily, I'm getting a pedicure today, so at least my feet will be pretty when I whip them out in the mall!   My physio has a particular interest in stimulating nerves...although she focuses on using electrical devices (there is one for foot drop, which she says works quite well) but she told me the Liberation procedure was the way to go, in my case.  And if (God forbid) I don't have CCSVI, at least I know I can work with her on improving my neural pathways.

I really feel like I'm getting all my ducks in a row.  I can't help but feel positive that everything I am doing will have a good outcome.  But only time will tell.

For those of you who are in the Abbotsford, BC area, if you want/need to see a Physiotherapist go to Abilities Neurological Rehabilitation and ask for Heather :)

No comments :

Post a Comment